Visa Extensions

  • Home
  • Visa Extensions

Visa Extensions

Study permit extension

The expiry date on your study permit tells you when you have to stop studying and leave Canada.

You can find the expiry date in the top right corner of your permit. This date is usually the length of your study program, plus 90 days. The extra 90 days give you time to prepare to leave Canada or to extend your stay in Canada.

If you want to keep studying, you need to extend your study permit.

To extend your study permit, you should:

  • Apply for a study permit extension before your study permit expires, if you want to keep studying in Canada.
    • for a new study permit
    • to restore your status as a temporary resident

Work permit extension

If you have a work permit that’s about to expire or that you need to change, you must apply to extend it or change the conditions on it.

You should apply to extend your work permit before your current permit expires.

If you already have a work permit in the Live-In Caregiver Program, you can apply to extend your permit’s expiry date or change the conditions listed on it.

The conditions you can apply to change are your employer or job location. You can change employers and stay in the LCP, as long as you and your new employer meet the requirements.

You may be eligible for a bridging open work permit (BOWP) if you applied to one of the permanent residence programs below:

  • Permanent residence using Express Entry
  • Provincial Nominee program (PNP)
  • Quebec skilled workers
  • Home Child-Care Provider Pilot or Home Support Worker Pilot
  • Caring for children class or caring for people with high medical needs class
  • Agri-Food Pilot

Visitor visa extension (Visitor record)

When you first come to Canada as a visitor, you use one of these documents to enter:

  • a visitor visa (also called a temporary resident visa)
  • an electronic travel authorization (eTA)
  • a valid passport or travel document

If you want to extend your stay in Canada as a visitor (stay in Canada longer), you need to apply for a visitor record. A visitor record is not a visa.

A visitor record is a document that gives you status as a visitor in Canada and allows you to stay longer and it includes a new expiry date (that’s the new date that you must leave Canada by)

You must apply for a visitor record before your current status expires.

A visitor record is a document that continues to give you status as a visitor in Canada and allows you to stay longer. It doesn’t guarantee that you can leave and then re-enter Canada.

If you plan to travel outside Canada or the United States, you need a valid entry document, such as a visitor visa or eTA, to return to Canada.

Have you any question about Canadian Immigration Services?

Call Us Today!

Get in touch with our team today to learn more about our professional services and to find out how we can help.